Located on Toronto's prestigious University Avenue, in the heart of the city, the University Club of Toronto is housed in a cherished heritage building that is a retreat for members to dine, socialize and pursue intellectual and artistic enlightenment. It is a place where connections are forged; relationships are built and friendships are made. The Club is warm and welcoming; collegial and engaging.
Additionally, members are part of the heritage, traditions and future of a Club that has been in existence for over a century and continues to evolve. Members understandably take great pride in entertaining or touring colleagues, friends and family at the Club. It is truly a Club unlike any other in the city!
Among the many features that Club members enjoy
- A private retreat in the heart of downtown.
- Exclusive dining in our casual Bar or elegant Library.
- Access to a treasured wine cellar.
- A boutique fitness centre with cardio equipment, machines, free weights, classes, squash and a golf practice facility with access 24/7.
- Modern accommodations for members or sponsored guests.
- Access to an international network of over 300 private clubs, many with overnight accommodations.
- Golfing privileges at a number of nearby private golf clubs.
- Various private rooms for corporate and personal functions.
- Access to an ever-changing calendar of special club events.
- Access to special wine offers through the UCT's Wine Club.
- Network of like-minded individuals.
The University Club is a private club that has been part of the Toronto social scene since before the First World War. Its origins date back to 1906 when a group of recent graduates from the University of Toronto decided that the existing gentlemen’s clubs of the day were too staid for their tastes and they decided to create a club of their own.
As the Club thrived and expanded, it has occupied a number of sites in the centre of Toronto, eventually moving to its current location on University Avenue in 1929. The magnificent club house was designed by the architects Mathers and Haldenby and was built by the firm of Jackson – Lewis, the principals of both firms being Club members. It is generally regarded as one of Canada’s finest neo-classical buildings earning heritage status under the Ontario Heritage Act 1978.
Over the years the Club has acquired an outstanding collection of paintings and drawings by respected Canadian artists. These are on display throughout the club house. Among the collection is at least one original painting by each member of the extended Group of Seven. Many contemporaries of the Group are also represented.
Today, the Club remains a vibrant part of the Toronto scene. Its members, both male and female, are drawn from a broad range of backgrounds representing the business community, the professions and academe.
A complete history of the Club is available in the book, “The University Club of Toronto – Its Life, It’s Times, 1906 – 2006” by Donald Rumball and published by the Club in 2008.